Welcome to Miss K's Blog!!!

Welcome to my blog! I hope that you enjoy checking out all of the information, links, videos, notes and STUFF that I put on here. Please visit this page frequently and PARTICIPATE in the blog by leaving a comment! Thanks! -Miss K :)

Reminder: Comments should be appropriate, kind, thoughtful and grammatically correct. I will DELETE comments that I think are inappropriate!

If you need to talk to me, please contact me via my school e-mail. Thank you.

Please note that all elements of this page are intended for educational purposes. All items included on this page are intended to be used within Fair Use guidelines. Please contact me if you have any concerns regarding any material included on this site. Thanks

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lines!

Today we started talking about geometry and our first topics was lines!

The three main types of lines are:

Line: an infinitely-extending one-dimensional figure that has no curvature

Line Segment: a part of a line that is bounded by two end points

Ray: part of a line which is finite in one direction, but infinite in the other

(definitions from wikipedia)

Play a mini game to help you review the different types of lines!

Lines of all types can interact in three (four) ways:

Intersecting: The point where two lines (of any type) meet or cross

You can also discribe a relationship as non-intersecting if two lines (of any type) never meet or cross

Check out this online demonstration of what intersecting and non-intersecting line segments look like!

Perpendicular: A line is perpendicular to another if it meets or crosses it at right angles (90°)

Another online demonstration, this time showing perpendicular line segments.

Parallel: Lines are parallel if they lie in the same plane, and are the same distance apart over their entire length

Parallel online demonstration.

(definitions and demonstrations from Math Open Reference)

More definitions with drawings from the Math League.

Your homework tonight is worksheet 8-1, All problems, but if you are reading this, please comment below with a real life example of parallel lines.  My example would be train tracks!













Thanks and have a great night!

-Miss K  :)

1 comment:

  1. I found this interesting :D!! i love your blogs and this gave me a better understanding (: but can you explain what is a Intersection of Point and Line,Intersection of Point and Plane and
    Intersection of Line and Plane
    ?(: @jasminewongyuekee@hotmail.com
    thankk youu ! please keep update (: ur blog is on my bookmark :D

    ReplyDelete